Tragedy struck the town of Pavo early Friday morning, the Pavo fire chief told Thomas County commissioners Tuesday, and the response should not go unnoticed.
The tragedy described by L.M. Taylor was a 1:40 a.m. fire in which a 94-year-old woman and her 69-year-old son died when the family residence burned.
Loette Rogers and Wynton Ladd Rogers perished in the blaze that destroyed the one-story, brick-veneer house in which the Rogers family had resided since 1927. Bonnie Rogers, Ladd Rogers’ daughter, who also lived at the house, was not at home at the time of the fire.
Thomas County should be proud of the county employees who responded to the blaze, said Taylor, who heads the Pavo Volunteer Fire Department.
“If they’re not, they need to look around,” Taylor, a former Pavo mayor, told commissioners.
Taylor pointed out firefighters, Thomas County Sheriff’s Office investigators and Thomas County emergency medical technicians.
“It was not but a little while before the state fire marshal was on the scene,” Taylor said.
He said cooperation among agencies was the best he has ever witnessed.
“Every one of them deserves a pat on the back,” Taylor said.
By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was through the roof of the house, Taylor said. “It’s hard to control that,” he added.
Commission Chairman Moses Gross pointed out volunteer firefighters who also responded to the blaze.
The origin and cause of the fatal blaze was a stove fire, Chris Jones, Thomas County Fire/Rescue chief, said Monday.
Senior reporter Patti Dozier can be reached at (229) 226-2400, ext. 1820.