Thomasville Times Enterprise

November 20, 2013

Coolidge man dies

Staff report
CNHI

— A 43-year-old Coolidge man died Monday from anaphylactic shock caused by a bee sting, the Colquitt County Coroner’s Office said on Wednesday.

Richard Johnson, of the 1100 block of Myron Hart Road, was pronounced dead at Colquitt Regional Hospital after being stung by a bee at about 3:50 p.m. Monday, Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office reports said.

Johnson and his wife reportedly were walking in the woods near their residence at the time he was stung, Coroner Verlyn Brock said. Johnson stayed at a neighbor’s residence while she went to get his epinephrine pen, but by the time she made it back it was too late.

“He had been down a while before they apparently got the epinephrine,” Brock said. “It was just a tragic occurrence.”

About an hour before being summoned to the scene the same deputy had met with Johnson and his wife about an unusual odor they smelled in the woods and whelps on his dog, sheriff’s reports said. The odor seemed to be from farm chemicals in use in the area, and the dog’s condition may have been caused by wasp or bee stings.

At the time, Johnson told the deputy he was severely allergic to bee stings, the reports said.