A pair of Thomas University seniors earned All-America honors this past week.
Senior forward Rowan Liburd of the TU men’s soccer team was named honorable mention NAIA All-American on Monday, while senior midfielder Carina Spengler of the TU women’s soccer team was named honorable mention All-American on Friday.
Liburd, who was second on the team with 16 goals and 39 total points, had a team-leading five game-winning goals for the Night Hawks. The Sun Conference Player of the Year and TSC Offensive Player of the Year also earned All-American honorable mention honors in 2011. Last season, Nathan Would was a third-team All-American selection from TU.
Spengler led the TU women with 18 goals and 37 points and had already been earned the TSC Champions of Character Award as well as being named an academic All-American an NAIA Women’s Scholar-Athlete. Spengler was the first TU women’s soccer player to earn All-American honors since 2004.
TU women improve to 2-0 in The Sun
The TU women knocked off visiting Florida Memorial 76-66 on Saturday at the TU Gymnasium to improve to 6-6 overall and 2-0 in TSC play. The Lions fell to 0-7 and 0-1.
TU overcame a slow start that allowed FMU to lead by nine points at the 9:18 mark of the first half, to lead 35-32 at halftime behind 10 points from freshman guard Shaunice Bennett.
The Night Hawks continued to build on that lead in the second half, pushing the advantage to 10 on a bucket from Christina Wynn with 11:26 to play. TU’s largest lead came with 2L39 left at 15 points.
Bennett led all scorers with 22 points and also had nine rebounds. Joi Wright added 19 points.
- Local Sports
- Busy baseball Friday in region play
- TU sends program high ten swimmers to NAIA championships
- Night Hawks go for seventh win in eight games
- Higginbotham signs with Darton
- Athlete of the Week: TU pitcher John Gainey
- Kramer: TU's Cox proved he was right hire
- Injured Wildcats recovering from collision at Cairo
- Night Hawks earn road shutout over Eckerd
- Mother Nature cancels TU softball doubleheader
- Cairo blows late lead; falls to Bainbridge
- More Local Sports Headlines