The Lady Bulldogs continued their unforeseen, yet unequivocal season by securing their first region championship since Ronald Reagan was in the White House.
The Thomasville girls track team took home the 1-AA title with eight first place finished among various events at the meet held in Fitzgerald.
Mahogony Walter led the way as the high point athlete of the afternoon with first place finishes in the high jump, 100-meter dash and 200-meter dash while also contributing to the top-ranked 4x400 relay team, which also consisted of Shakeria Gathers, Sherionna Jackson and Demetria Miley.
The girls nearly added another top finish in the 4x100 relay after leading the first three legs, but were disqualified for an illegal baton pass during the final stretch.
Other than that, it was smooth sailing for the Lady ‘Dogs, who capped their second overall first place finish on Thursday, adding to their title from last month’s Yellow Jacket Invitational.
Among the other individual finalists include:
– Danisha Jones finished first in the discus throw and shotput.
– Gathers finished third in the 200-meter dash.
– Aleaa Wagner finished fourth in the 100- and 300-meter hurdles.
– Demetria Miley finished second in the 800-meter dash and fourth in the 400-meter dash.
– Jacara Hayes finished first in the 800-meter dash.
The Smith sibling tandem of Rachel and Rebekah finished first and second, respectively, in the 1600- and 3200-meter runs.
The boys team also had a productive afternoon and finished second overall.
Among the individual finalists include:
– Bryan Kato finished first in the shotput and discus throw.
– Allen Robinson finished third in the shotput.
– Edward Anderson finished third in the discus throw.
– Trevarius Wimberly finished third in the high jump.
The 4x100 relay team of Rakow Graham, Marrio Cherry, Santez Gordon and Alex Thomas finished second.
The 4x400 bunch, which included Andrew Jackson, T.J. Witherspoon, Will White and Alex Thomas, also placed second.