The Judge Henry William and Francesca Hopkins House located on Remington Avenue in Thomasville was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on May 14. The property owner sponsored the nomination and a consultant prepared the nomination materials.
Hopkins was a lawyer, judge, politician and real-estate magnate who developed several subdivisions in Thomasville and who helped transform Thomas County’s private plantations into game preserves that made the county a winter resort. Hopkins was born in Brantley County in 1850. In 1871, he married Francesca Seward, daughter of James L. Seward, who was active in local and state politics. Hopkins was also involved in local and state politics. Hopkins was admitted to the bar in 1868, appointed as a county judge in 1874, served two nonconsecutive terms as mayor of Thomasville from 1886 to 1900, served in both chambers of the Georgia state legislature and served as president of the board of trustees of the Archbold Memorial Hospital until his death in 1945. He also established a real-estate company in 1879. Through this company Hopkins developed the East End, West End and Paradise Park neighborhoods in Thomasville and negotiated the sale of many of the largest antebellum plantations in Thomas County, helping to turn them into private game preserves, which transformed the county into a winter resort that attracted wealthy Northern sportsmen.
The house that he and Francesca built is an excellent example of the Italian Villa style, a variant of the Italianate style, inspired by vernacular farmhouses of the Italian countryside.
See Saturday's edition for more details.