September is Library Card Sign-Up Month! Stop in to any of your local TCPLS libraries to renew or re-activate your existing card or sign-up for your very first card. Rediscover the joy and pleasure of reading and connecting to your community!
Snap a photo of you and your card to show us #HowILibrary. Tag us in your pictures showing how you use your library card for the chance to win a free wine tasting from Farmer’s Daughter Winery!
Sept 24 | All About Organic Foods | 1 p.m.
Organic foods and products have flooded the marketplace over the past few years and have had a huge impact on the choices we make as consumers. What does it really mean when a product is labeled as “organic”? How can you tell if a product truly is certified organic? Find the answers to these questions with UGA Extension Thomas County Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) agent, Ashleigh Childs. Following the talk, we will we showing you how to whip up a few quick and easy organic recipes (and giving you a taste!)
Sept 24 | Introduction to Mindfulness & Meditation | 6 p.m.
Do you want to improve your concentration and emotional regulation? This class is a brief introduction to mindfulness. Through simple techniques you will learn to pay closer attention to your thoughts, feelings and sensations. This has the potential to develop emotional clarity and resilience. Led by Thomas University’s associate professor of art Rich Curtis. Curtis has been practicing mindfulness and meditation for several years. He is also chair of the Mindfulness Campus Work Group at Thomas University.
Sept 26 | Alternative Medicines: Cancer Prevention | Noon
For this month’s Alternative Medicines Workshop, we welcome back Dr. Ervin Davis, founder of Healthy Lifestyles Global Institute. Dr. Davis will be speaking on natural alternatives and general lifestyle changes that help to prevent some cancers and better your overall mind/body health.
Oct 3 |Financial Literacy: Credit Correction | 3.30 p.m.
Debt is almost inevitable in our modern times and it is very easy to get lost in its tide. Envision Credit Union is here to help guide with multiple ways to making your debt more manageable. Get one-on-one advice to the best way to correcting debt that works for you.
Oct 4 | Enlightening Bites: Pope Museum | Noon
For this month’s Enlightening Bite lecture, we welcome Michelle Dean, executive director and founder of Pope’s Museum Preservation Inc. Most people are unaware that one of the nation´s oldest extant folk art museums is located in south Georgia. They are also unaware this site was created by a woman, Laura Pope Forester, a self-taught artist. Michelle is the forerunner rehabilitating the home and grounds to its former splendor and restoring the artwork piece by piece. Bring your lunch with you for this intriguing talk on south Georgia history.
Oct 8 | Book to Art Book Club | 3 p.m.
Join the Library book club that brings an artistic twist to literature. During each monthly book discussion, the group creates an individual piece of artwork inspired by the month’s book selection. Call or stop by the Library to join!
Tuesdays | Friends of the Library Book Sale | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
We are currently updating the Thomas County Resource Directory for the 2019-2020 year!! If you have an entry that needs updating or would like to be included, contact Samantha Hanchett at (229) 225-5252 or email your changes to email@example.com.
Become a member of the Friends of the Library today! Forms for 2019 membership are available and our library staff will be happy to answer your questions. Your participation helps the library with programming, books and other materials added to the library.
Adult Literacy at the Library! Looking to improve your reading skills or know of someone who is? Are you preparing for the GED? Would you like to volunteer to assist with Adult Literacy? Contact Samantha Hanchett at (229) 225-5252 for more information.
Are you an e-reader? The library offers an online database full of FREE Audiobooks, E-books and magazines you can download directly to your device. All you need is your library card and online password. Go to www.tcpls.org and click on the RBDigital link to begin downloading today!
Check us out online and on your phone!
Facebook – @ThomasCountyPublicLibrarySystem
Instagram - @tcpls
Twitter – TCPLS229
Website – www.tcpls.org
Computer and Technology Classes:
• Monday, Sept 23 at 6 p.m. and Wednesday/Friday, Sept 25/27 at 10 a.m. - Adding Images to Documents.
• Wed, Sept 25 at 4 p.m. – Teen Advisory Board. Want to have influence in your library? Come out and join the TAB; have your voice heard.
• Every Monday at 4 p.m. – Anime Club. Love anime? Come out and discuss the books and movies with fellow anime lovers.
• Every Friday at 4 p.m. – Gamers Club. School is out for the weekend, start it right with a gaming sesh. We got everything from Xbox to board games.
• Slime time is BACK!! Stop into the library on Sept 23 at 4 p.m. and make your very own glob of slime. Parents: We clean the mess! Supplies allow for only 20 children to participate.
• Storytime is in session!! Join us every Thursday at 10.30 a.m. for an hour of cool stories, awesome songs and super fun activities. Make a new friend or two and have fun reading with us! Intended for ages 2-4 years.
• Join the coolest club around, LEGO Club. Each Thursday at 4 p.m., build something rad with other cool creators. We save any unfinished works until next club meeting. Intended for ages 4-11 years.
• Bring your baby to the library and begin the journey to literacy. Every Friday at 10.30 a.m. is Baby Story Hour. We sing songs, read stories and recite rhymes while your little one interacts with other babies.
• We have a new game system!! Play some fun group games on our Nintendo Switch. Every Friday at 4 p.m. is Gaming Day. Intended for ages 5-11.
• Every Tuesday from 2-4 pm. Join us at the library for a game of Quiddler! Quiddler an incredibly fun card game that challenges players to create words out of an increasing hand of cards.
• Wed, Sept 25 at 4.30 p.m. – Craft Time: Leaf Puzzle.
• Wed, Oct 9 at 4.30 p.m. – Craft Time: Painting Owls.
• Tues, Sept 24 at 2 p.m. – Adult Bingo. Enjoy socializing with others and win a prize with each Bingo. Snacks served.
• Wed, Sept 25 at 4 p.m. – Perler Beads Craft Hour.
• Thurs, Sept 26 at 2.30 p.m. – Green Cleaning w/FACS. Have you ever thought about the amount of time humans spend indoors and the amount of toxins that are inside? It is important to keep our homes clean to keep ourselves healthy and this can be done by using homemade household cleaning products from items you already have in your pantry! Join us as Thomas County Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) agent, Ashleigh Childs, shares tips on how to “clean green”, as well as provide the opportunity to make your own green cleaning product to take home!
• Wed, Oct 2 at 3.30 p.m. – Scissor Safety. Learn to use scissors safely. Intended for Pre-K ages.
• Wed, Oct 9 at 4.15 p.m. – Afterschool Movie for Teens: “Mean Girls.” Film rated PG-13.
• Mon, Sept 23 at 4 p.m. – Checkers Mini-Tournament. Challenge a friend or librarian to a game of checkers.
• Mon, Oct 7 at 2.30 p.m. – Children’s Game Time. Play the Roll A Pumpkin Game with us. Roll the dice to see who can be the first to complete the pumpkin face. Snacks served.
• Tues, Oct 8 at 2 p.m. – Lego Day. Bring your imagination and build something awesome with all our Lego bricks.
• Wed, Oct 9 at 2.30 p.m. – Wee Wednesday. Join us for a fall-themed story time and make a fun crayon shaving craft after the story!
• Thurs, Oct 10 at 2.30 p.m. – Afternoon Movie for Kids: “Hotel Transylvania.” Film rated PG.
“The Yellow House” by Sarah M Broom
“Where the Light Enters” by Sara Dunati
“City of Girls” by Elizabeth Gilbert
“A Better Man” by Louise Penny
“Justice on Trial” by Hemingway Severino
“I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if our house is on fire.” —Greta Thunberg, 2019 Nobel Peace Prize Nominee