Oct 3 | Financial Literacy: Credit Correction | 3:30 p.m.
Debt is almost inevitable in our modern times and it is very easy to get lost in its tide. Envision Credit Union is here to help guide with multiple ways to making your debt more manageable. Get one-on-one advice to the best way to correcting debt that works for you.
Oct 4 | Enlightening Bites: Pope Museum | Noon
For this month’s Enlightening Bite lecture, we welcome Michelle Dean, Executive Director and Founder of Pope’s Museum Preservation Inc. Most people are unaware that one of the nation’s oldest extant folk art museums is located in south Georgia. They are also unaware this site was created by a woman, Laura Pope Forester, a self-taught artist. Michelle is the forerunner rehabilitating the home and grounds to its former splendor and restoring the artwork piece by piece. Bring your lunch with you for this intriguing talk on south Georgia history.
Oct 8 | Book to Art Book Club | 3 p.m.
Join the Library book club that brings an artistic twist to literature. During each monthly book discussion, the group creates an individual piece of artwork inspired by the month’s book selection. Call or stop by the Library to join!
Oct 9 | Healthy Homes Solutions: Disaster Preparedness | 1 p.m.
As we are in the midst of hurricane season in Georgia, join us for a program on disaster preparedness to help you stay ahead of the storm. UGA Extension Thomas County Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) agent, Ashleigh Childs, will share tips on developing a disaster plan, supplies kit, and how to stay hydrated and safe by purifying and storing water.
Oct 14 | Library Closed – Columbus Day
All TCPLS libraries will be closed for Columbus Day. Regular hours resume Tuesday.
Tuesdays | Friends of the Library Book Sale | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
We are currently updating the Thomas County Resource Directory for the 2019-2020 year!! If you have an entry that needs updating or would like to be included, contact Samantha Hanchett at (229) 225-5252 or email your changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a member of the Friends of the Library today! Forms for 2019 membership are available and our library staff will be happy to answer your questions. Your participation helps the library with programming, books and other materials added to the library.
Adult Literacy at the Library! Looking to improve your reading skills or know of someone who is? Are you preparing for the GED? Would you like to volunteer to assist with Adult Literacy? Contact Samantha Hanchett at (229) 225-5252 for more information.
Are you an e-reader? The library offers an online database full of FREE Audiobooks, E-books and magazines you can download directly to your device. All you need is your library card and online password. Go to www.tcpls.org and click on the RBDigital link to begin downloading today!
Check us out online and on your phone!
Facebook – @ThomasCountyPublicLibrarySystem
Instagram - @tcpls
Twitter – TCPLS229
Website – www.tcpls.org
It is Family History Month and we will be focusing on genealogy. Through the month, will be assisting you in preserving your family photos and documents digitally. We are taking appointments for Mondays (10 a.m.-12 noon) and Tuesdays (2.30-4.30 p.m.) for private preservation assistance.
Computer and Technology Classes:
• Wed., Oct 9 at 10 a.m. – Beginning Genealogy
• Fri., Oct 11 at 10 a.m. – Ancestry.com
• Wed., Oct 16 at 10 a.m. – Family Search.com
• Fri., Oct 18 at 10 a.m. – Family Tree Maker
• Tues, Oct 1 at 4 p.m. – Teen Advisory Board. Come out and tell us what you would like to see happen in the Teen Department.
• Every Wednesday at 4 p.m. – Anime Club. Love anime? Come out and discuss the books and movies with fellow anime lovers.
• Every Friday at 4 p.m. – Gamers Club. School is out for the weekend, start it right with a gaming sesh. We got everything from Xbox to board games.
• Storytime is in session!! Join us every Thursday at 10.30 a.m. for an hour of cool stories, awesome songs and super fun activities. Make a new friend or two and have fun reading with us! Intended for ages 2-4 years.
• Join the coolest club around, LEGO Club. Each Thursday at 4 p.m., build something rad with other cool creators. We save any unfinished works until next club meeting. Intended for ages 4-11 years.
• Bring your baby to the library and begin the journey to literacy. Every Friday at 10.30 a.m. is Baby Story Hour. We sing songs, read stories and recite rhymes while your little one interacts with other babies.
• We have a new game system!! Play some fun group games on our Nintendo Switch. Every Friday at 4 p.m. is Gaming Day. Intended for ages 5 to 11.
• Halloween Movie Marathon! School is out and we are throwing a spook-a-thon! Stop in from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. for some fun Halloween films! Popcorn, treats and water will be available.
• Every Tuesday from 2-4 p.m. Join us at the library for a game of Quiddler! Quiddler an incredibly fun card game that challenges players to create words out of an increasing hand of cards.
• Wed., Oct 9 at 4.30 p.m. – Craft Time: Painting Owls.
• Tues., Oct 15 at 4.15 p.m. – I Love Lucy! Marathon
Mon., Oct 7 at 3 p.m. – Movie for Kids: “Barney’s Halloween Party.”
Tues., Oct 8 at 4.30 p.m. – Youth Bingo. Hang with friends and win a prize with each Bingo. Snacks served.
Wed., Oct 9 at 4.30 p.m. – Lego Play. Build something incredible with Lego Bricks. Your imagination is the limit!
Mon., Oct 2 at 4 p m – Children’s Craft: Halloween Masks.
Wed., Oct 16 at 4 p.m. – Children’s Gaming Day.
• Wed., Oct 2 at 3.30 p.m. – Scissor Safety. Learn to use scissors safely. Intended for Pre-K ages.
• Wed., Oct 9 at 4.15 p.m. – Afterschool Movie for Teens: “Mean Girls.” Film rated PG-13.
• Thurs., Oct 17 at 3 p.m. – Adult Coloring Club.
• Mon., Oct 7 at 2.30 p.m. – Children’s Game Time. Play the Roll A Pumpkin Game with us. Roll the dice to see who can be the first to complete the pumpkin face. Snacks served.
• Tues., Oct 8 at 2 p.m. – Lego Day. Bring your imagination and build something awesome with all our Lego bricks.
• Wed., Oct 9 at 2.30 p.m. – Wee Wednesday. Join us for a fall-themed story time and make a fun crayon shaving craft after the story!
• Thurs., Oct 10 at 2.30 p.m. – Afternoon Movie for Kids: “Hotel Transylvania.” Film rated PG.
• Thurs., Oct 17 at 2 p.m. – Essential Oils for Wellness. Learn about alternative wellness through the use of essential oils. Stephanie Coffee of Young Living will be guiding you through the various uses of oils in relieving different ailments.
“Hart’s Hollow Farm” by Janet Dailey
“Lethal Agent” by Vince Flynn
“The World That We Knew” by Alice Hoffman
“Sins of the Father” by J.A. Jance
“The Dutch House” by Ann Pratchett
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks about changing oneself.” — Leo Tolstoy