CAIRO — Police are searching for two unidentified men who they say were involved in a late night home invasion shooting.

Authorities say two suspects barged through the front door of a residence on the 800 block of 8th Avenue NW sometime just before midnight the night of August 20.

Charles Gilbert, who was awake at the time, was shot during the invasion.

Officers found Gilbert lying on the floor of his residence when they arrived, though he was coherent and able to speak.

Gilbert told police that a female that he recognized rang his doorbell late at night. When he opened the door, two unfamiliar black males rushed inside. At some point during the ensuing altercation, Gilbert was shot.

Investigators say the suspects stole some property from the residence, though they are unsure what exactly may have been taken.

“I know that some cash was taken, but that’s all that we know right now,” said Keith Sandefur, chief of police.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is assisting the Cairo Police Department.

Gilbert remains at Archbold Medical Center.

Northside Elementary School was locked down for several hours Wednesday after a manhunt for one suspect believed to be connected to the shooting spilled into a nearby neighborhood.

Police informed Northside staff at around 11 a.m. that they were searching for Deaven Williams, 24, who was believed to be on the run in the area.

Sandefur said Williams escaped on foot, but was found and arrested later that night. Investigators no longer believe he was connected with the 8th Avenue shooting.

Classes continued uninterrupted during the lockdown and students were never in danger, according to Principal Cheryl Larkins. Authorities never approached the Northside campus during their search, but they informed the school that they were in the area out of precaution.

School system police chief Redell Walton was present on campus during the lockdown, Larkins said. School resource officers escorted classes to lunch.The lockdown was lifted at around 1 p.m.

Recommended for you