Brookwood repeats in GISA Class AA
By Clint Thompson
THOMASVILLE -- The Brookwood Warriors captured their second straight GISA AA baseball title Saturday with a 3-1 victory over the Tiftarea Panthers.
"It's the best way to go out," catcher Stephen Cheney said after playing his last game at Brookwood. "It's awesome to win a second state championship in a row."
Cheney is one of six seniors who finished their careers with back-to-back crowns.
"It feels great. It doesn't get much better than a state championship," senior second baseman Robert Shiver said.
Unlike last year's championship series that saw the Warriors manhandle John Hancock, this year's series pushed Brookwood. The Warriors overcame a 3-1 deficit in the seventh inning Friday. The Warriors won Saturday's game despite collecting only six hits and leaving eight runners on base.
"We knew it was going to be a battle, and that's what it was," Brookwood head coach Boo Taylor said, who won a state title in his first season at the helm.
"It was harder only because of expectations we had," center fielder Clayton Funderburke said. "It feels pretty good to go out with a win."
This Week's Circulars
- Gang charges stem from '19 homicide case
- Watkins has a new rank in sheriff's office
- Archbold surgeon: It’s safe to be here
- Couple wanted in massive pot-growing operation surrenders
- Commander: 'Significant dealer' behind bars
- Local man charged with 24 credit card felonies
- Detergent theft suspect makes clean getaway, but not for long
- Downtown businesses coming back strong despite virus lull
- A great deal of pomp — under the circumstances
- Central to hold in-person graduation June 6 at football stadium
Johnny Martin Eubanks, 88, of Gilbert, SC passed away on Friday, May 22, 2020. Thompson Funeral Home of Lexington is assisting the family with the plans.
Mr. Stephen Handford Welch of Cairo, Georgia-Beachton Community, passed into the loving arms of Jesus on Sunday, May 24, 2020. Mr. Welch was born April 22, 1924 in Augusta, Georgia to the late Bailey Welch and the late Elizabeth Welch. Mr. Welch served in the United States Army during WWII i…
Mrs. Pearlie Mae Bush Garlin was the seventh of ten girls born to the late Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Bush in Beachton, GA on May 24, 1940. Pearl was married to the late Eugene Garlin II and their union was blessed with 3 children. Just as the Lord loaned Pearl to us for a little while, He summon…