THOMASVILLE -- Long-time Thomas County Commission Chairman Josh Herring was elected to his sixth chairmanship Tuesday.
Herring chaired the board in 1999 and 2001-2004. He was unanimously elected to head the panel in 2005.
Commissioner I.L. Mullins was re-elected vice chairman with no opposition.
Herring, a Boston farmer and cotton gin owner, is beginning his 15th year on the commission.
He said his priorities this year include the urban service district agreed upon by Thomas County and Thomasville governments. The area will allow the expansion of city services to accommodate growth in unincorporated areas governed by county government.
Also, Herring wants to expedite paving of roads using Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) money earmarked for the work.
The need for county office space is crucial, Herring said, in reference to a proposed plan to build a new courthouse and restore/renovate the historic courthouse.
"We've got to do something with some room somewhere," he said. "Security is a real issue."
Commissioners named Bruce Warren county attorney for 2005, Twink Monahan was named county clerk, and Donnie Baggett is the 2005 safety coordinator.
Senior reporter Patti Dozier can be reached at (229) 226-2400, ext. 220.
This Week's Circulars
- Archbold reports first two deaths from COVID-19
- Thomasville enacts voluntary shelter-in-place
- Archbold: Number of positive test results up to 13
- 16 positive COVID-19 test results so far across Archbold facilities
- Two Southern Pines residents diagnosed with COVID-19
- No state of emergency for Cairo, Grady
- Jail escapee doesn't get far
- Cairo officials pleading for residents to take caution
- Cairo police looking for suspect in store employee robbery
- Grady County declares state of emergency
William Douglas Norton, 85, of Pelham passed away Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at Select Specialty Hospital in Tallahassee. Due to the restrictions imposed with the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be a private family only graveside service. Rev. Olen Cain and Rev. Nick Snellgrove will officiate. …
Graveside service for Mrs. Marinda Thompson will be Saturday, March 28, 2020 at Peaceful Rest Cemetery. Pastor Dr. Emory Virgil will do words of comfort. Public viewing will be Friday March 27, 2020 from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. Safety guidelines will be in place due to COVID-19. Mrs. Marinda Tho…