THOMASVILLE — A Thomasville Publix employee has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the company.
Maria Brous, Publix director of communications, said that because of privacy laws, no other information about the employee was available for release but the positive test was not within the last 14 days.
Publix employees are put on paid leave when diagnosed with the virus.
Brous said an employee who works at Publix, 3521 Thomasville Road, in Tallahassee, also tested positive positive for COVID-19.
"We continue to be keenly focused on intensive, ongoing protective measures in all our stores," Brous said. "Those efforts are conducted with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, local and state health departments."
Publix protective measures include:
• Heightened ongoing disinfection program focusing on high-touch surfaces such as touch pads, door and drawer handles, phones and computers.
• Continued cleaning and sanitization of stores.
• Quarantine and paid leave for 14 days for any associate who tests positive for COVID-19 to recover from the illness.
• Notification, quarantine and paid leave for up to 14 days for associates who have been in close contact with the associate who tests positive for COVID-19.
• Installation of plexiglass shields at registers, customer service desks and pharmacies in all stores.
• In-store signs, one-way directional aisles and public address announcements reminding customers and associates of social distancing.
• Visual reminders of appropriate six-foot spacing via marked lines at registers.
• Requiring associates to wear face coverings.
• Adjusted store hours to allow more time to conduct additional disinfection measures and restock shelves.
"As an essential service provider, the health and well-being of our customers, associates and communities are our top priority," Brous said. "We are proud of how our dedicated associates are taking care of our customers and each other through this unprecedented and challenging time."
Like other essential service providers, Publix has seen employees and their families personally impacted by COVID-19, Brous said.
"Unfortunately, as public health officials have indicated, we expect to see an increase in cases as the virus spreads in our communities," she added.
Senior reporter Patti Dozier can be reached at (229) 226-2400, ext. 1820