MOULTRIE -- A Thomasville man hit by a truck as he crossed Ga. 133 South Oct. 4 died of his injuries Monday.
Charles Wayne Whitaker Sr., 65, of 39 Swamson Road in Thomasville, died of extensive head injuries he sustained after being struck as he walked across Ga. 133 South to get a candy bar. Graveside services for him will be held at 11 a.m. today at Murphy Cemetery in Thomasville.
Police reports said Whitaker had left RT's Sports Grill on Ga. 133 South at 8:35 p.m. Oct. 4. A witness told officers that Whitaker was crossing the road to get a candy bar at the convenience store across from the sports bar.
Before Whitaker reached the other side of Ga. 133 South, he was hit by the front passenger side of a Ford F-150. Michael Smith, 32, of Camilla, the driver, told officers he did not see Whitaker until it was too late.
Colquitt County Coroner Danny Warburg said Whitaker was taken to John D. Archbold Memorial Hospital in Thomasville following the accident. His condition there had improved enough that he was transferred to a swing bed at Mitchell County Hospital in late October.
Shortly after arriving at Mitchell County Hospital, however, Whitaker's health took a drastic decline, Warburg said. He died Monday while at Mitchell County Hospital.
This Week's Circulars
- Six suspects arrested, two pounds of drugs seized
- Chastain kicks off District 2 City Council candidacy by listening
- City Schools board picks Bryant as next leader in split vote
- Authorities say to lock your car doors at night
- Juneteenth celebration draws from all over
- West Jackson Street set to receive more developments
- Two dead in Grady County wreck
- No Fourth of July fireworks show in Cairo
- City of Thomasville celebrates Wsate and Recycling Workers Week
- Box-cutter wielding assault suspect still at large
COVID-19 vaccine survey
Graveside services for Amanda Walker Hall will be held Friday June 25, 2021 at 6PM in Laurel Hill Cemetery. Amanda passed away on July 25, 2020 in Roswell. She was the daughter of the late Margaret and Donnie Walker. Amanda was a graduate of Thomasville High School. She is survived by her da…