THOMASVILLE -- Thomas County Central held the fall sports banquet Thursday night, reliving a memorable year in football, cross country and fast-pitch softball.
Central football coach and athletic director Ed Pilcher presided over the program and gave his appreciation to the success of his fellow coaches.
"I've been very fortunate to work alongside them," Pilcher said. "Sometimes they don't get enough recognition. Our coaches do a great job."
Pilcher's football team finished 12-2 and advanced to the state semifinal.
Despite the Yellow Jackets falling just short of the state title, offensive line coach Bill Wilhelm voiced his opinion about which team he felt was the best.
"I really feel like the best team in the state is in this room right here," Wilhelm said.
Central's softball team finished second in Region 1-AAAA and advanced to the state playoffs. Central had three seniors this year, Kristen Hurst, Blythe Upton and Amy Mitchell, and head coach Cara Hankinson thanked her trio for their hard work.
"Girls, the future is bright for you, keep doing what you're doing," Hankinson said.
Central's cross country team was led by the girls who won the region for the fifth straight year.
"(The coaches) do a great job of motivating kids," Pilcher said. "That's a tough thing to do, to motivate someone to run five miles."
This Week's Circulars
- Two dead in Grady County wreck
- Central's Harris decommits from FSU
- Jack Hadley Black History Museum awarded $240K grant
- Documentary focuses in on longtime heart of Black community
- City abuzz with two local film productions
- Dozier brings journalism career to a close
- Cairo awarded Explore Georgia Tourism Recovery Marketing grant
- Veterans museum project attains nonprofit status
- County eyes ARPA money to augment essential workers' pay
- Pebble Hill Plantation presents 'Call of the Wild'
COVID-19 vaccine survey
Dorothy Eleanor Mercer passed away on June 9, 2021 at Archbold Memorial Hospital. She was born on December 18, 1932, in Pavo to the late Early Byrd Wood and to the late Nellie Deen Wood. She was married to Eugene Mercer who precedes her in death. Survivors include her children, Leon David Mc…